The Gryphon School was built in 1992 to serve 900 pupils but has since grown to accommodate 1600 students. This extension, completed in Spring 2014, provides two new classrooms and goes some way to relieving the pressure on existing accommodation. The project also includes a passenger lift which has improved circulation particularly for disabled students.
The extension sits in a corner of the School site formerly used as an outdoor space by sixth formers. An ‘architectural statement’ was not appropriate or necessary here and therefore the building was simply designed to blend with the original School. The architectural challenge here was to design a building within a confined space which minimised the impact on neighbouring classrooms, maintained escape routes, and as far as possible protected the outlook from neighbouring residential properties. The solution was to rotate the extension at an angle of 45 degrees, and although this may look at odds with the general School plan, the new extension sits comfortably with the existing form of the School and its site.
Contractor – Stepnell Ltd
Quantity Surveyor – Slade Parry Ltd
Structural Engineer – John Beveridge Associates